It's right that we should patronize our local businesses in our areas. Because it is one of the reason why our economic standard in one area becomes successful.
What is LOCAL and how exactly does it help our community?
Here are 10 reasons why it’s important to support and shop local whenever we can …
1. Significantly more money re-circulates in South Florida when purchases are made at locally owned, rather than nationally owned, businesses. More money is kept in our community because locally owned businesses purchase from other local businesses, service providers, farms and manufacturers. Purchasing locally helps grow other businesses as well as our South Florida tax base. We all win when we all shop locally!
2. Most new jobs are provided by local businesses. Small local businesses are the largest employers nationally, and in South Florida they provide most of the new jobs to our residents.
3. Our one-of-a-kind businesses are an integral part of South Florida. The unique, distinctive and diverse flavor of South Florida business owners make up our local fabric and unlike any other part of the country, it’s one of the reasons why we live here and stay here. Our tourism industry also benefits and attracts thousands of visitors yearly due to the fabric and flavor of our local community.
4. Local business owners invest in our community. Local businesses are owned by people who live in our community, are less likely to leave, and are more invested in the community’s future. Their kids go to school here, they build relationships, they have roots in our community. Let’s make sure we all support each other and our local business owners.
5. Customer service is better. Local businesses often hire people with more specific product expertise, language diversity and ethnic backgrounds for better customer service for their customers. Buy local, shop local.
6. Competition and diversity leads to more choices. A marketplace of tens of thousands of small businesses is the best way to ensure innovation and low prices over the long-term. A multitude of small businesses, each selecting products based not on a national sales plan but on their own interests and the needs of their local customers, guarantees a much broader range of product choices.
7. Reduced environmental impact. Locally owned South Florida businesses can make more local purchases requiring less transportation and generally set up shop in town and occupy the malls and shopping centers. This generally means contributing less to sprawl, congestion, habitat loss, pollution and most importantly, keeping the shopping centers occupied.
8. Public benefits far outweigh public costs. Local businesses require comparatively little infrastructure investment and make more efficient use of public services as compared to nationally owned stores entering the community.
9. Encourages investment in South Florida. A growing body of economic research shows that in an increasingly homogenized world, entrepreneurs and skilled workers are more likely to invest and settle in communities that preserve their one-of-a-kind businesses and distinctive character.
10. Non-profits receive greater support. Non-profit organizations receive an average 350% greater support from local South Florida business owners than they do from non-locally owned businesses. Buy local South Florida!
What are some other reasons or methods you think can help to support local in our community? Feel free to leave your comments below .. we would love to hear them.